Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Is immersiveness necessarily a good thing while reviewing a game?


Usually when I do the things I like, i involve myself deeply with them. In some of them more than others, but for every one at least to a degree to temporarily reduce the importance of every other thing. Playing games is one of the things I like, and I do it whenever I can with great passion.
But onto the question from the title (which essentially is the reason for this post.)

Let’s have an example with a more .. realistic nature. Since not every one likes video games ( although i like to think that the people who visit this blog - all 4 of them, DO :) I’ll make an analogy with everybody’s familiar topic - relationship and romance. So, let’s say I have a partner whom I love very much, I love myself for loving her and I love everything because of that. Let’s say I’m immersed in her. I’m lost in her personality, or I think it’s more suitable to say that I’m *found*. Anyways I like spending time with him/her A LOT. Let’s say I am forced to form an opinion about that person. If I go with my gut, and form an opinion coming from my feelings and state of mind my judgement will be flawed because I’m in a position when the good trhings greatly outweigh the bad. On the other hand, if I try to judge objectivelly, I will have to break the immersive bond and will have to watch over from a distance. But then I will not enjoy myself as when I’m immersed, because I’m into “analyze” mode.

Now let’s take the same example with games. There is a game that you love playing, a highly immersive game, and you wan’t to make a review about it. If we put things graphically, where does the reviewer stand ?


1 - Grants him objectiveness but deprives him from the fun. He studies the game instead of enjoying it.
2 - Vice versa.
Ideally he should be somewhere in between, but is that really possible?
Or maybe he’s supposed to shift between them at certain points. If so, when?

1 comment:

  1. I personally don't feel like it's a huge problem for a reviewer to allow himself to get engaged by a game. Reviews written post facto give the player time to disengage and evaluate the experience (although this is no guarantee of "objectivity", whatever that is). If the concern is that somebody who really likes something won't evaluate it fairly, well, that's just the risk we run by being human. The important thing isn't to be super-objective. Rather, the key to being a good reviewer is to like or dislike things and have a good feel for explaining why you liked them (or not). Ebert (for instance) isn't shy about saying he hated a film ("Hated hated hated it."), but he's always careful to explain what caused his response.

    ReplyDelete