Monday, January 17, 2011

Betrayal at Krondor



I remember the days when i first got this game. It came free, in a magazine, so i was like "let's give it a shot". It kinda was the only way to go, since I realised later that the magazine was all in German :) It was my first encounter with a text-based RPG. Hell it was one of the several games i played on my 486 PC. I remember having pretty decent English language skills, but some of the words used in the game were yet unknown to me. So kept an English dictionary handy :)

The storyline was marvelous, with well-constructed characters each with their own distinguishable manners and stereotypes. But due to the variety of situations they're placed, you never get that feeling of boredom, or the "I know what he's gonna do next" kind. And my it was captivating. I never went out for a week .
As for the technical side, it was not much, rough images, blocks, low res.. But it could still visualize the narrative well. I didn't need much more. I had my own imagination there to help me :)
The sound was just some midi tunes, which got well with the ambient. Well, to say the truth, I don't give much to a good sound, I just need it not to be a distraction.

This game got my love for RPGs burning, and you always remember and appreciate your first love :)

9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment